Dryopteris atrata. The Black Wood Fern or Shaggy wood fern
Dryopteris atrata, the Black Wood fern is so-called because of the dark, almost black scales covering the black leaf bases and crown. This, when contrasted with the bright green fronds, makes the plants extremely appealing. It has a strong habit of growth and robust leathery leaves the leaflets of which bear serrated margins.
- Moist, well-drained soil
- A little tidying of the old tired fronds may be required in spring before the new growth.
- Grows in full sun, part to full shade
- Height 90cm ( 35 inches )
- Spread 90cm ( 35 inches )
- For shipping the plants are sent out bare root ready for potting on either into a larger pot or directly into the soil.
- Contact us if you require more information