Cattail / reed mace (Typha gracilis) Marginal plants
Cattail / reed mace (Typha gracilis)
- Typha gracilis, Cattail / reed mace, is a relatively compact variety of reedmace ( reedmace is commonly called Bullrush) with slender green leaves and light brown, sausage shaped seed heads. As it’s name suggests it is more graceful than some of the larger varieties of reedmace. The seed heads are attractive and add interest to the pond in winter.
- This variety is less vigorous than the larger varieties but we would still advise cutting the seed heads off in late winter to prevent seeding.
- Planting depth above soil level 10-20cm (4-8inches)
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- Height to 100cm (39inches)
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information