Variegated Sweet Flag (Acorus calamus ‘Variegatus’)
- Variegated Sweet Flag (Acorus calamus ‘Variegatus’) is a marginal (shallow) water plant which has handsome, green/white variegated, erect, sword shaped leaves. These attractive leaves are it’s main feature and are also aromatic. Acorus calamus ‘Variegatus’ flowers from May to July, the insignificant flower is a conical spadix that resembles a small horn.
- The rhizomatous root grows shallowly across the soil and therefore we would recommend planting in a wide basket to allow room for growth. Not as vigorous as its green counterpart and so is easily kept in check.
- Grow at pond margins in full sun where it will gradually spread to form an attractive architectural clump which .
- Grows to 60cm – 90cm (24 – 36 in) in height.
- Planting depth 7cm – 15cm (3in – 6 in).
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 19cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Product Code: M0020
- Contact us if you require more information