Common rush (Juncus effusus) Native Marginal Plant
Common rush, also known as Soft Rush, (Juncus effusus) is a native marginal plant. A grass-like perennial, its bright green to yellowish rounded stems form arching fans. Rounded heads of small green to brown flowers emerge on the sides of the stems just below the stem tips from late spring to summer.
- This rush thrives equally well in moist conditions or in shallow water. It is a resilient plant which is especially useful for improving the habitats for wildlife. Stands up well to wildfowl.
- Flower brown, flowering time July to September .
- Planting depth 0-10 cm (0-4 inches)
- Height 40 – 90 cm (15 – 36 inches)
- Plant directly in soil or in a planting basket.
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information