Water hawthorn (Aponogeton Distachyos)
- Water hawthorn (Aponogeton Distachyos) has snowy white flowers which have a sweet, hawthorn like perfume and are produced in the spring. The elongated, spear shaped leaves develop from a submerged tuber and are mid green, often developing burgundy coloured blotches with age. Leaves lie on water surface with the flowers standing a few inches proud. Further flowers often appear in the autumn and sometimes throughout the winter.
- Water hawthorn will tolerate partial shade, and slowly moving water.
- Please note this plant becomes dormant during the summer months starting into growth again in the autumn. We will supply a tuber during this dormant period.
- Clumps grow up to 3 feet across.
- Planting depth 1 to 2 feet.
- Unlike land Hawthorn, there are NO prickles !
- Contact us if you require more information