Water hawthorn (Aponogeton Distachyos)
- Water hawthorn (Aponogeton Distachyos) has snowy white flowers which have a sweet, hawthorn like perfume and are produced in the spring. The elongated, spear shaped leaves develop from a submerged tuber and are mid green, often developing burgundy coloured blotches with age. Leaves lie on water surface with the flowers standing a few inches proud. Further flowers often appear in the autumn and sometimes throughout the winter.
- One of our favourite plants as it is suitable for any sized pond or water feature.
- Water hawthorn will tolerate partial shade, and slowly moving water.
- Please note this plant becomes dormant during the summer months starting into growth again in the autumn. We will supply a tuber during this dormant period.
- Clumps grow up to 3 feet across after several years, plant in groups to create a more established effect.
- Planting depth 1 to 2 feet.
- These are quite large plants and we recommend planting in a mesh basket of at least 22cm.
- We ship all water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Unlike land Hawthorn, there are NO prickles !
- Contact us if you require more information